xsl-list

Re: Calling xsl stylesheet from a css stylesheet file

2005-12-01 09:04:39
On 12/1/05, mus47(_at_)voila(_dot_)fr <mus47(_at_)voila(_dot_)fr> wrote:
Hi,
I am tryin to call an xsl file from a css file using:
@import "mystyle.xsl";
but it didn't work. Is there any way to do that.
Thanks.

How do you picture this working?  Would the xslt stylesheet be
imported, process whatever html page is calling the css sytlesheet,
then the css stylesheet would apply it?

I think you are confused with some basic principles of how css and
xslt are applied.  CSS typically just gives formatting instructions to
a browser or processor of how a document is to appear.  XSL works by
transforming the document into another.  I have seen those comparing
CSS to XSL by talking about both XSLT and XSL-FO.  The XSL process is
to convert XML into an inbetween format called XSL-FO via an XSLT
stylesheet.  There is then a processor which can take the visual
formatting described in XSL-FO (which shares it's origin with CSS) and
use it to render the document or convert it into another format
(typically a binary one or a complex one like pdf).  Most browsers
will do a transformation on an XML document via a processing
instruction, and apply a CSS stylesheet via a linking mechanism.

Jon Gorman