xsl-list

Re: What does the phrase "duplicates removed" mean precisely?

2006-01-31 19:09:46
On 2/1/06, Mark Wilson <drmark(_at_)tlcdelivers(_dot_)com> wrote:
In reading Michael Kay's XPath 2.0, I frequently encountered the phrase,
"...returned with no duplicates...". I checked the FAQ mantained by Dave
Pawson under both XSLT Terminology -- where "duplicates" is used to define
the term "Node Set" -- and under XSL Frequently Asked Questions where
"duplicates" has its own heading. From that reading, I am all but convinced
that "duplicates" refers to the (I cannot recall the correct XML term)
content text demarked by a starting and ending XML element pair, as in

   <SomeTag>This is the text</SomeTag>

Not only. This may be attributes with the same (repeating) value.

Is this correct, or is my understanding imperfect? Are there any other kind
of "duplicates" removed?

I find the notion of "duplicates" much broader -- generally they are a
set of items having the same value (generally expressed as an XPath
expression). In XPath 2.0 these items may even be scalars (not nodes).

In any such case as defined above, the task of "removing duplicates"
(or grouping)  is meaningful.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev