xsl-list

Re: supress errors?

2006-01-19 09:30:51
It's possible that the XML has been edited using a non-XML aware
editor such as Notepad and has been saved using an encoding thats
different from the encoding specified in the prolog.  For example, the
prolog is the traditional:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

...and Notepad has saved the file in ANSI.

Its pure speculation as ever because the OP didnt provide a failing example.

On 1/19/06, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:
No: I'm afraid that if your XML isn't well-formed, there's no way you can
use XSLT to process it.

A lot of the motivation behind XML was to get away from the "tag soup"
mentality of HTML, where consumers of HTML were expected to plough on
regardless of what rubbish they found in their input.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: dan(_at_)streampad(_dot_)com [mailto:dan(_at_)streampad(_dot_)com]
Sent: 19 January 2006 15:33
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] supress errors?

For my application, people have to upload an XML file (their
iTunes Music
Library). After it uploads, I run a transformation on it in PHP5. Many
transformations are not working and showing errors because of weird
characters in the source XML. The source and result XML are
set to UTF-8.
Is there a way to skip over a troubled node? I can't imagine that XLST
doesn't have a way to deal with this.

thanks,
Dan

--~--