xsl-list

Re: Converting dayTimeDuration to yearMonthDuration

2006-01-18 08:23:51
On 18/01/06, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

There was a function to do this at one stage - something like
subtract-dates-yielding-yearMonthDuration - but we took it out because we
had trouble defining exactly what it should do. (If you were born on 29 Feb
1980, how old are you on 28 Feb 2006?)

Yeah I saw that on one of the older specs. I see why it was taken out.

((current-date() - xsd:date(birthdate)) div xdt:dayTimeDuration('P1D'))
   idiv 365.242199
   * xdt:yearMonthDuration('P1Y')

But that may give small errors at the boundaries (i.e. on someone's
birthday).

Thanks that is what I'll use. It's information rather than system
critical stuff.

The alternative, I think, is to extract the year/month/day components of the
two dates and do the calculation yourself.

OK. I'll keep that in mind in the event that people complain about the
wrong age (unlikely though).

Thanks again,

Gary