xsl-list

Xprss - web app using client-side XSLT

2006-01-16 13:07:54
Hi,
(Please don't consider this as an advertisement. I post this hoping it's
of use to new-comers and people interested in XSLT in general.)

Xprss (http://xprssit.com) is an RSS reader-cum-blogging engine by
Applibase (http://www.applibase.com), that relies heavily on XSLT for the
presentation layer of the web application. I believe we are one of the few
services on the open Web depending almost entirely on client side XSLT
currently. We currently support only IE (the newer versions) and Firefox,
but plan to switch to server side transforms for older browsers. Xprss is
also available as a free download for personal and non-commercial
use(http://applibase.com/Xprss_FAQ.html).

I'm one of the developers of Xprss. I've used XSLT a lot in the last few
months and I find it a very elegant approach to generate webpages,
provided the strict condition is satisfied that the input is well-formed
XML. The hardest part is cleaning up arbitrary HTML (RSS feed articles in
our case) into well-formed XML. XPath makes working with XML a pleasure,
and the functional model enforces simple semantics in the long run. We
have not profiled the performance aspects in much detail, so far.
I shall be sharing more about my experiences developing a Web app using
XSLT once we move our product out of Beta.

Over the course of the last one year, this list has been of immense help
to me, along with Dave Pawson'e FAQ. Doug Tidwell's "XSLT" and Jeni
Tennison's "XSLT and XPath On The Edge" have been my constant companions.

Thanks for your interest, and feel free to give us any feedback or
questions. I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Pramod Biligiri
--
http://xprssit.com/user/pramod