xsl-list

Re: trouble with preceding axis

2006-01-04 08:44:20
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 15:10, Jon Gorman wrote:
Hi Duane,

Just thought I'd offer some advice that is similar to what Michael Kay
already mentioned but thought I might elaborate a bit on.

Given

<root>
   <apple/>
   <pear/>
   <orange/>
</root>

Given an xpath to orange (/root/orange) I want to reference the
previous element which is a peer.

The peer is a pear, very true ;).  Back to the advice:

I tried the following with no
success:

   /root/preceding::orange

I think the key information the OP was missing is that this means
"a preceding element *called* orange" NOT "an element preceding
the one called orange". preceding-sibling::pear is what is needed.

Peel me a sibling.

///Peter