xsl-list

Re: Error in XPath 2.0 expression Too many items

2006-01-03 05:12:51
I am using 'Altova xmlspy 2006 Enterprise Edition version 2006 sp2' to
convert a source xml to target xml using XSLT and in my .xsl program I
am importing a schema as
<xsl:import-schema  schema-location="abc.xsd"/>

This abc.xsd is importing other schemas.

Now my problem is when I see the 'browser'  present in this xmlspy I
can see values fetched but when I click on 'XSL Transformation' it
gives me an error
"XSL transformation failed due to following error:
Error in XPath 2.0 expression Too many items"

and the cursor stops at this line
<xsl:variable name="city" select="substring-before($vCityStateZip, ',')"/>

I tried to change the place of this line but after error the cursor
points at this line.

Is there any funny mistake I am doing or there is some version problem
or something else ??

It's possible that $vCityStateZip is a sequence of more than one item.
 Have a look at its declaration to check what the "as" attribute
contains - I'm guessing it won't be defined correctly, if at all.

Just to speculate some more, I guess you have something like this:

<xsl:variable name="vCityStateZip">
  <xsl:value-of select="city"/>
  <xsl:value-of select="state"/>
  <xsl:value-of select="zip"/>
</xsl:variable>

and you really want:

<xsl:variable name="vCityStateZip"as="xs:string">
  <xsl:value-of>
    <xsl:value-of select="city"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="state"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="zip"/>
  </xsl:value-of>
</xsl:variable>

The former is sequence of several items, the latter is a sequence of one item.

cheers
andrew