xsl-list

Re: Re: Does anyone know how to make IE less useless for XSLT developement?

2006-02-22 05:44:38
Nick Fitzsimons wrote:

but IE is a huge pain because it does not read the
stylesheet changes unless you exit all instances of IE and start it up
again. I had to do this each time I commented something out to test
it.

I've found that going to

Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Temporary Internet Files fieldset
Settings > Check for newer versions...

and selecting "Every visit to the page" has fixed this in the past.
Alternately, I believe IE will do a forced refresh (bypass the cache) if
you hold down the Ctrl key while refreshing.
It will, as will the Ctrl + Refresh. Maybe reading the documentation will help?

<xsl:template match="HtmlAttribute">
  <xsl:attribute name="@name"><xsl:value-of
select="text()"/></xsl:attribute>
</xsl:template>

Not sure what you're trying to do without seeing the context, but have you
tried putting {} around @name?
I am here to bare witness to the fact that yes, in fact, this "hack" actually does work!

FWIW I've been making extensive use of XSLT with MSXML since late 2000 and
have never had the degree of trouble you seem to have had. It's worth
creating a simple test harness using JScript to perform the transformation
directly rather than just relying on the browser; that way you have full
access to the error reporting capabilities of the XML parser and the XSLT
processor. A web browser is not intended as an XSLT development/debugging
environment; it needs to be supplemented with the proper tools.

Regards,

Nick.
Ok, all kidding aside... If you didn't seem so adiment about finding problems with IE/MSXML I would avoid the smart mouth comments all together. By focusing on the notion that "its not my code its IE!" it seems you have wasted a good two weeks of your life, only to discover that, in fact, its your fault for choosing not to learn how to properly write XSLT. That just seems silly to me...

You can search for and find a lot of fault with MS in general (much of which can also be attributed to opinion, but I'll set that aside and allow for the fact that MS is not a perfect company in ANY stretch of the imagination), and every so oftern you will find they do something that has gone against the standards grain, and as such can rightfully complain about this. Except for white space handling in various scenarios, I have yet to hear anything but praise for MSXML and its implementation of the XSLT specification. It's fast, and as close to compliant as you can get and not be called Saxon. What could possibly be wrong with that?