xsl-list

Implementing an Blogger-style template using XSLT

2006-02-20 20:05:26
Hi,

I'm trying to implement a Blogger-style templating system and would like
to get some feedback on whether it's feasible or not. While it's true that
an XSLT file itself would be a template, some of my users are not keen on
learning it and I'm trying to strike some middle ground here.

The premise is this:

The template file would be an extension of XHTML and looks like this:

-------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<head>
<title>Document Title</title>
</head>
                <h2 id="welcomenote">Welcome to My Site</h2>
                <MBTemplate:submenus>
                        <MBTemplate:submenu>
                                <MBTemplate:submenuheader />
                                <ul class="submenu">
                                        <li><MBTemplate:submenulink /></li>
                                </ul>
                        </MBTemplate:submenu>
                </MBTemplate:submenus>
                <MBTemplate:sitetitle />
                <MBTemplate:entries>
                        <MBTemplate:entry>

/><MBTemplate:username /><br /><MBTemplate:msisdn
/></MBTemplate:userlink></p>
class="entry-header"><MBTemplate:entry-title /></div>

<MBTemplate:entry-contents />
class="entry-footer"><p><MBTemplate:entry-meta><MBTemplate:entry-date
/></MBTemplate:entry-meta></p></div>
                        </MBTemplate:entry>
                </MBTemplate:entries>

-------------------------

Then, the data input would come in the form of an XML document that looks
like this:

--------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<MBData:Output xmlns:MBData="http://www.mydomain.com/MyData";>
        <MBData:Submenu>
                <MBData:Item href="http://www.google.com";>Link
name</MBData:Item>
        </MBData:Submenu>
        <MBData:Entries>
                <MBData:Entry>
                        <MBData:Title>My Title</MBData:Title>
                        <MBData:Content>My article</MBData:Content>
                        <MBData:PostedData>11th Jan 2005</MBData:PostedData>
                </MBData:Entry>
        </MBData:Entries>
</MBData:Output>

Finally, I'd have an XSLT file that uses the 2 files and then translates
into XHTML code that I can output to the browser.

How, folks? Do you think it's feasible to do this? Would appreciate any
pointers in the right direction.

Thanks!
Wong