xsl-list

RE: Version and output-version in XSLT 2.0

2006-02-13 06:09:27
Having introduced this new "version" attribute even makes it
necessary to
introduce a new attribute, "output-version" to the
result-document element,
meaning exactly the same as "version" in the output-element and even
overridinging it!

Sorry but that is not how a new attribute should be
introduced!

The XSLT 1.0 specification had (1) a version attribute on the xsl:stylesheet
element, (2) an xsl:version attribute on literal result elements, and (3) a
version attribute on the xsl:output element. The meaning of (3) was
unrelated to (1) and (2).

There were a number of other similar attributes that could appear either on
xsl:stylesheet or (with the xsl prefix) on literal result elements (for
example exclude-result-prefixes). We generalized all of these so that they
could appear on any element, mainly to allow them to be used at the level of
xsl:template or xsl:function. We weren't able to fully generalize the
version attribute in this way because of the clash with the existing
attribute on xsl:output, so we just made that an exception. Inelegant, but
not a real problem in practice, and any other solution would have been
equally messy.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/