xsl-list

Re: What does the phrase "duplicates removed" mean precisely?

2006-02-01 06:44:34
Michael,
Your example is quite clear, but raises the issue of "what is identity?", a problem I also had after a careful reading of David's answer. Looking at your (C,D,E, D,E,E) example, my naive definition would be that "node identity is determined by a selected node's location within the source tree -- one node is identical to another, and thus is a duplicate, if they both shared the same location in the source tree". Or do I still have it wrong?
Mark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Kay" <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:28 PM
Subject: RE: [xsl] What does the phrase "duplicates removed" mean precisely?

When an operation like a path expression or a union is defined to return a
sequence of nodes with duplicates removed, this simply means that you won't get the same node appearing twice in the sequence. For example, if element A
has four children B, C, D, and E (in that order) then the path expression
child::*/following-sibling::* selects a sequence containing (C, D, E),
rather than (C, D, E, D, E, E) which is what you would get if duplicates
were not removed. This depends on the concept that nodes have an individual identity. Nodes are duplicates if they have the same identity - the name and
value/content of the node are irrelevant.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/