xsl-list

Re: calling java script in xsl

2006-03-06 04:45:26
andrew welch wrote:

You don't - you can call javascript from HTML produced by the
transform, but you don't call javascript directly from your XSLT.
Hmmm... technically, this not true. But its implementation specific. Not all processors implement the <script> element, and those that do tend to do so using a custom namespace (e.g. msxml:script)

Of course, from the other side of the technical coin, using script inside of an XSLT 1.0-based transformation no matter which implementation, or what scripting language is used is a recipe for disaster. There are an extensive number of ways to gain the same functionality that an embedded scripting language provides, using 100% XSLT 1.0 solutions. For those who want to be both blown away by what truly can be accomplished with a pure XSLT 1.0 solution, please visit http://fxsl.sourceforge.net

Of course at http://EXSLT.org you will find some pretty nifty tools/extensions as well.

And when it finally comes down to it, there is XSLT 2.0 and extension functions that will bring tears of joy to your eyes. My advice: grab a box of tissues{: I prefer the "Kleenex/Antibacterial/BlueBox" myself, but its certainly more of a preference than requirement :), a copy of the latest Saxon 8.x series processor [http://www.saxonica.com], and FXSL for XSLT 2.0, which is accessible from the same link listed above.

Actually, maybe two boxes of tissues would be a smarter choice. In this case, I would go for the aformention Kleenex recommendatin... they come in packs of three and you can usually save a buck or two in the process. This, of course, will leave an extra box for whatever you might want to use it for. Smart. Really smart ;)

XOXOXOXO

What problem are you trying to solve?

--~--