xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: Un-cdata-section-elements

2006-03-22 04:44:50
No, that's not good enough; the output I want to be valid XHTML 1.0
Strict, and as such it needs to live in a CDATA section,

On 3/22/06, David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
XHTML does not require a CDATA section here or anywhere else.

No, but XSLT processors still throw it in if needed or not.

You only need to use CDATA at all
if you want to use < and & but not escape them as &lt; and &amp;.
It's usually easy enough to avoid these characters in javascript
anyway. & isn't used much and you can usually use > instead of <
just by reordering the expression.

But this has never been about what I can cook up manually; it is about
what XSLT processors spit out. I know libXSLT has a special
output="xhtml" option (but I don't know if this fixes this specific
problem; I'll give it a try tomorrow), but most processors deals with
"html|xml|text" and I would like to have this within those parameters.

Anyways, I think the answer is 'no' to if this can be solved
absolutely without hacking or relying on specific processor behaviour.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert