xsl-list

[xsl] Announce: Updated XSLT embedded documentation environment - XSLStyle

2006-03-29 08:36:19
Last week I did another project where I used embedded markup in my XSLT to document the XSLT. And, again, I used the vocabulary of the markup being processed by the XSLT to document the XSLT, thus recursively, calling the stylesheet being documented to present the stylesheet documentation.

When I previously announced this [1] I talked about doing it for stylesheets for the Intelligence Community Metadata Standards for Publication, where I used the IC vocabulary as the embedded vocabulary documenting the stylesheets that interpreted the IC vocabulary for rendering. In effect, each stylesheet fragment's stylesheet association processing instruction pointed to the top of the stylesheet tree and recursively called itself to document itself.

I noticed this time, however, that by turning the XSLT import tree inside out, I could put the vocabulary-specific constructs at the top of the import tree and then the import sub-tree can remain sacrosanct, read-only, and cross-vocabulary. So, last week I restructured the XSLStyle environment for embedding DocBook and now I can reuse the vocabulary-independent bits for other vocabularies without having to make any changes to the shared components.

For those who have downloaded XSLStyle before, to use the update you will have to change to which stylesheet fragment you are pointing in order to engage the new inverted import tree ... otherwise you get the same benefit of formatted documentation and enforcing stylesheet writing rules you choose to impose in this environment.

To download XSLStyle, go to the free resources link on the right side of our home page, and it is in section 3.2 in the free XSLT resources.

I hope people find this helpful.

[1] http://www.xslt.com/html/xsl-list/2005-10/msg00535.html

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com