xsl-list

Re: [xsl] rephrased: passing parameters to generic templates

2006-04-12 11:07:46
At 12:41 PM 4/12/2006, you wrote:
In an AVT the values get concatenated using a space separator... but
I'm guessing you meant as arguments to functions...

Yup. Either I never knew this, or I forgot it. :-)

I disagree with your second point though, using (..)[1] should be
avoided as it will hide the fact that you selected multiple nodes when
you only wanted one - this is the real strength of 2.0 over 1.0 - in
1.0 you would only trap this by examining the output, in 2.0 you get
an error.

Well in the real world one would have more to fall back on to manage this question, I should think, like some set of constraints over the input such as a schema to tell you what to expect.

In light of that, I think whether you'd want to force to the first, or allow for the error (or in this case, actually a different value if multiple attributes were found and concatenated), is one of those things that would Depend.

Since in this case we don't know the whole story, we're left to make our best guess.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez