xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Problem with passing argument to external registered function

2006-04-17 13:29:14
The calling conventions for external functions are implementation-defined,
so things that work with one processor will not necessarily work with
another.

Some processors don't do any type conversions on the supplied arguments: if
the external function in this case is expecting a string, then it might be
better to do the conversion "by hand" by writing
select="foo:bar(string(element/.))".

(Actually, the XPath expression "element/." means exactly the same as
"element" or "./element".)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Mukul Gandhi [mailto:gandhi(_dot_)mukul(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 17 April 2006 18:18
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Problem with passing argument to external registered
function

On 4/17/06, Jesper Noehr <jesper(_at_)noehr(_dot_)org> wrote:
This works:
<xsl:value-of select="foo:bar('test')"/>

This doesn't:
<xsl:value-of select="foo:bar(element/.)"/>

Is it not possible to give XPath expressions as argument?

Saxon 8.7.1 is working fine with XPath expressions as argument. I
think this is a proprietary feature of XSLT processors, and is not
specified in XSLT/XPath specs.

What am I doing wrong? Am I trying to go beyond the capabilities of
XSLT?

You are not doing anything wrong. Its just that libxslt seems to not
support passing parameters like this.

Regards,
Mukul

--
Jesper Nøhr, Information Systems Developer, Opera Software
tel: +47-24164348 / cell: +47-93460263 / jespern(_at_)opera(_dot_)com

--~--