xsl-list

[xsl] request validation of the input document from within the XSLT stylesheet

2006-05-05 01:29:14
I'm surprised to discover that source document validation cannot be
directly requested from within the stylesheet in the same manner as the
output documents.

From Michael Kay's book (3rd edition) I find at the top of page 60:

"You don't request validation of the input document from within the
stylesheet.  It's assumed that you will request this as part of the way you
invoke the transformation."

Checking the most recent XSLT2.0 specs (RC) would seem to confirm this.

What surprises me is that some stylesheets will only work if the input
document has type annotations and as such validation of the input document
is a requirement.  Since this validation cannot be requested from within
the stylesheet, some external information must be kept to signal to the
invoking process that validation is to be performed, meaning that pipeline
processors and such will need to keep track of that when they perform a
transformation.

I'd be curious to hear why what seems to me to be of obvious utility was
not included in the specification.

-alan
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended
solely for the addressee(s).
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to
alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be
liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses
destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite. Tout
message electronique est susceptible d'alteration.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de
ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.