xsl-list

RE: [xsl] number() in Xpath overflows in Linux

2006-05-15 06:37:07

This issue is product-specific.

But I suppose it merits some discussion as to what the specs have to say on
the subject.

XPath 1.0 defines the number() function in terms of the rules for numeric
literals. There are no rules discussing limits on the size of a numeric
literal. You can either interpret that as meaning there are no limits (but
how many products would accept a zillion trailing zeros?) or as meaning that
the limits are implementation-defined, in which case your product is within
its rights to reject an 18-digit number.

More recent specs, sadly, are not much better. XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 defer
to XML Schema for the rules for string-to-double conversion, and XML Schema
isn't clear on the subject. There has been a lot of debate on this recently
in connection with xs:decimal, where implementations are allowed to impose
limits on the value space: the question is, if you specify more digits than
the implementation can handle, should it reject the value or round it?
There's been less discussion in the case of xs:double, where the value space
is fixed (not implementation-dependent) - but it's still true that the specs
simply don't say where there can be limits on the nunber of characters in
the lexical representation.

A fairly sorry state of affairs, I'm afraid, and it means that you might not
have much luck with your bug report. You can always try a different product,
of course.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

We are using number() in our XSL Transformation,

number() in Xpath overflows for the numeric value
"1000000000.000000000"
to "-844674407.3709551" in Linux environment.
1000000000.000000000 : Fails
1000000000.00000000  : Works

The xsl file is,
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><xsl:stylesheet
version="1.0"
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";><xsl:template
match="/">
  <xml>
      <th align="left">Price</th>
    <xsl:for-each select="catalog/cd">
select="(number(normalize-space(1000000000.000000000)))"/></td>
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xml>
</xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

And the xml file is
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <catalog>
  <cd>
    <title>Empire Burlesque</title>
    <artist>Bob Dylan</artist>
    <country>USA</country>