xsl-list

[xsl] XPath "none" /type/ not available to the user

2006-05-24 04:26:22
  Hi

  In F&O, §3 The Error Function says:

    fn:error() as none

    [...]

    Note that "none" is a special type defined in [XQuery
    1.0 and XPath 2.0 Formal Semantics] and is not available
    to the user.  It indicates that the function never
    returns and ensures that it has the correct static type.

  Why is it not available to the user?  As the result type
of a function that never returns.  For example, what can I
put in the @as of the following XSLT definition of an XPath
function?

    <xsl:function name="my:error" as="none()">
      <xsl:param name="msg" as="xs:string"/>
      <xsl:sequence select="
          error($my:error-qname, concat('No luck: ', $msg))"/>
    </xsl:function>

  IMHO, it can be interesting for static type checking.
Does this "type" introduces some complexity in the static
type system?  It seems that it is well defined in Formal
Semantics (but I don't know well this document, I just had a
quick look at it).

  Regards,

--drkm