xsl-list

RE: [xsl] outputting to original destination from within a result-document

2006-06-21 01:19:47
I am using <xsl:result-document> in my stylesheet (processing
with Saxon 8.7). I'd like to output back to my original
output document from within the <xsl:result-document>. Does
anyone know of any way to do this?

You can't (any more than you can write attributes to a parent element while
writing a descendant. The output model is strictly hierarchic - it can be
helpful to think of the secondary documents as being extensions of the main
output tree, that just happen to be serialized to a different file.

You have to follow the same principle as with a single output file -
structure the processing logic according to the hierarchic structure of the
output to be produced.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Right now, I'm assuming
I'll just have to do post processing with a second
stylesheet, but I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any
good ideas.

My stylesheet is converting a single monolithic XML file to a
DITA map file and also chunking out the content into separate
DITA topic files (using <xsl:result-document>). This is a
fine approach, but it doesn't handle nested sections in my
monolithic XML file. When I get to a nested section (when I'm
inside the <xsl:result-document>), I need to create another
topic (new result document), but I also need to add a nested
<topicref> to the DITA map file (original output document). I
was trying to do this in a single XSL (creating the map file
and doing the chunking), but now I think I need to fall back
to two separate stylesheets; one to create the map and one to
do the topic chunking.

Can anyone answer my first question or have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any and all responses,

Jeff Rosler

--~--