xsl-list

Re: [xsl] amp symbols

2006-07-03 06:21:15
On 7/3/06, Chad Chelius <cchelius(_at_)agitraining(_dot_)com> wrote:
David,
I have a similar situation. The people that I am sending XML files
to, require that entities be used for certain characters.

It shouldn't matter to them whether the characters are represented on
disk as entity references or as actual characters - once the XML has
been parsed the result is the same.

Two occasions when someone might specify this is when they are parsing
the XML with some kind of custom parser (or perhaps a custom entity
resolver), or they are reading the file in the incorrect encoding and
seeing odd characters in the output - using entities would bypass the
encoding issue.

Do you know why they require entities in the XML files (Im going for
the latter)?

cheers
andrew