xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Re: Theory question: Node trees and SQL.

2006-07-06 01:11:35
Doesn't really help me much though. I'm looking to find the
preferred/simplest way of storing node-/b-trees in SQL to be
used with XSL. I need to be able to move, create, and delete
nodes very simply (preferably without transactions).

Any suggestions on what method I should use?

There is no simple way of storing trees in a pure relational database. Trees
need recursive queries, and recursive queries can't be done in first-order
predicate logic. You either have to do it a complicated way in a relational
database, or a simple way in a non-relational database.

(Of course, none of the major products like Oracle are purely relational any
more.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/