xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT compiler

2006-07-17 05:21:02
On 7/17/06, Mohsen Saboorian <mohsens(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Thanks Andrew,
But still I'm confused with two contexts. XSLT compilers: which seems
that Saxon is not one (while XSLTX is); If both are same in
functionality (being compiler: working like a JSP to Servlet compiler)
which one is better in performance.

With a XSLT 1.0 stylesheet, Xalan-J using a Translet should be the
fastest processor.

With an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet, Saxon wins by default (as its the only
Java based 2.0 processor).

The point is, as long as you code using JAXP interfaces you don't have
to choose now.  You could start with a 1.0 stylesheet and Xalan-J and
then if you decide in the future to move to XSLT 2.0 you just need to
change a few system properties (from the command line) and put Saxon
on the classpath.

If you decide now that you really want to use XSLT 2.0 then you only
really have the one option.

As I've said, if your app repeatedly transforms the same source XML to
the same result then it will never be as fast as an application that
serves the same result from a cache unless the source XML changes, in
which case it re-transforms, caches and serves again.

If you know up front whether this is possible and if you need to use
XSLT 2.0 then it will influence the decision on which processor to
use.