xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLT default output encoding when method==html?

2006-07-21 14:10:03
Most XSLT processors allow you to bypass the final stage of serialization,
namely translation of characters into bytes, if you supply a
character-oriented output destination: for example, in Java, a StreamResult
that wraps a StringWriter. You then end up with a sequence of abstract
characters (in Java they will actually be in UTF-16, but you aren't supposed
to care).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: James A. Robinson [mailto:jim(_dot_)robinson(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu]
Sent: 21 July 2006 20:19
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] XSLT default output encoding when method==html?

I'm writing some code which needs to read the result of an
XSLT transformation into a string.  The XSLT specification
clearly states what a processor is supposed to do if the
output method is xml, xhtml, or text, but no output encoding
is specified, which is great.

I'm unable to figure out if it says somewhere what occurs if
html is the output method and no encoding is specified.
Anyone able to point me at the right information?  Or does
this end up being 'processor specific' ?

Jim

--~--