xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xsl:key() and $variables.

2006-07-21 15:40:06
Steve -- in XSLT 2.0 the key() function allows a third argument to provide a context for the retrieval; that's what it's doing in Ken's example. In 1.0 we get around that by using a for-each instruction to change context to the document wherein sits the node we want.

Commonly when we do this we have to bind variables outside the call to for-each, to use inside the key(). The 2.0 call to key() is thus more concise in two ways: lots less side-stepping.

Actually since the hint was in Mike's original answer, you've been given the answer to your question (how do you do this in 1.0) twice now. I suppose it doesn't count if you don't know that's what it is.

Okay, enough from me -- I didn't follow the top of the thread carefully either (Mike, Ken and Dimitre all being more than competent to help), so I'm at risk myself --

Cheers,
Wendell