xsl-list

Re: [xsl] unparsed-text() and illegal characters

2006-07-27 12:39:41
> Perhaps I'll do that.
You mean in "adding it to Saxon" as an extension? Perhaps an extension function can be used for it, like ext:replace-illegal-chars-with('FFFD')? Mmm, I guess not, probably before the data arives at the function it will already have raised an error. Or something like

ext:unparsed-uri-filter($uri, $transformFrom, $transformTo)

where $transformFrom and $transformTo are both containing hex sequences (using character entities won't work, because of this same strictness, I guess).

Cheers,
Abel

Michael Kay wrote:

The spec is very strict that characters not allowed in XML cause an error.
This is a change since the book was written.

However, the spec is very loose about how URIs are resolved. So a conformant
product could take the URI

thing.txt?substitute-illegal-chars=FFFD

as a reference to "the document formed by taking thing.txt and substituting
illegal characters with xFFFD."

Perhaps I'll do that.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/