xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Global parameters with UTF-8 characters and ???s <Disregard Previous>

2006-08-03 09:06:21
Actually, I no longer trust a hex editor. UltraEdit in hex mode doesn't
display the bytes that it found on the disk, it displays the result of
decoding those bytes and translating into UTF-16.

PSPad, a nice, small freeware editor, has a feature that allows you open a file
directly in its Hex Editor, bypassing any transcoding of the file. This allows
you to truly see the "bytes on disk". By default, if you open a file and switch
to its "Hex Edit Mode", you get the same thing as UltraEdit, i.e., a
hexadecimal view of the file transcoded to UTF-16 in the editing buffer. I
regularly use its Hex Editor feature to "debug" misencoded XML and in checking
XSLT output. Highly recommended, just for that feature alone.