xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Line Numbering

2006-08-04 12:25:03

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 15:07 -0400, CyberSpace Industries 2000 Inc.
wrote:
I have seen problems like this before.  In laws like this the line number is
sometimes considered to "part of the text" in that other legal documents
will refer to line 45 of paragraph 23.2 subsection 6 - or something like
that.

The point being that the line numbers are not allowed to change over time -
and must be locked to a specific set of text.  The problem is then how to
populate a <lineno> element with information generated only at print time.

I'm taking legislative bills and when I generate a pdf for the bill, I
need line numbers to start when the first para start.  Previously,
before we switched to xml, we had it setup so that numbers reset after
every page.  However, this is no longer needed.  Just as long as each
line has it own number.

So yes, the problem is how to populate an element with information
generated only at print time. :-/

Thanks.