xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Migration from XSLT1.0 to XSLT2.0

2006-09-06 05:08:37
Hi Michael
                 Thanks for the help. W3C specification provides the key =
enhancements over XSLT1.0. Now is there any performance related =
information available for XSLT2.0 in comparison with XSLT1.0 while =
testing with bulk data. We can always optimize stylesheets using new =
XSLT2.0 functionalities such as looping,grouping,functions etc. but what =
is the result when we use the same stylesheets?

Thanks
Pankaj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Kay" <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:48 PM
Subject: RE: [xsl] Migration from XSLT1.0 to XSLT2.0

        We are planning to migrate from XSLT1.0 to XSLT2.0. I
am concerned about backward compatability.

There's a detailed list of incompatibilities in an appendix of the spec.
Read it carefully, but don't get frightened by it: most of the differences
are things that very few stylesheets would ever do deliberately.

You can do the conversion in one step or two. The two-step approach is

Step 1: switch to an XSLT 2.0 processor, leaving your stylesheets saying
version="1.0"

Step 2: change the version attribute to say version="2.0".

In the intermediate stage you are running XSLT 2.0 in XSLT 1.0 mode, which
causes some constructs to behave in a backwards-compatible way, for
example
$a < $b converts both values to numbers rather than comparing them as
strings (that's probably one of the biggest incompatibilities).
Personally,
I'd be inclined to do it in a single step, because it gets the job over
with.

I have found on the
web that XSLT2.0 is too Saxon specific. Is that true?. Are
other open source transformers supporting XSLT2.0?.

Saxon is by far the most complete implementation available today, but
others
are working hard to catch up.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/