xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Getting the Base Character of Character with Diacritic

2006-09-19 00:53:24
Colin Adams wrote:
as the  C forms consist of de-composition followed by composition.
So it would be strange to implement NFC, and not implement NFD.

I see. I never looked at it that way. I always thought that de-composition was the hard way, and never realized that you actually needed to de-compose before you can compose. But come to think of it, it sounds rather logical.

Hmm, that sounds counter-intuitive towards the fact that the W3C committee for XPath decided that only NFC be mandatory. In other words: it sounds kind only to make one normalization form mandatory, but in fact they impose both NFD and NFC, so why not make both mandatory anyway?

-- Abel