xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Handling invalid characters

2006-10-02 14:38:17
XSLT can only handle well-formed XML documents, so you need to fix the
problem at the point where you are generating XML: that is, in your php
function. In fact, it goes without saying that if you have code that
attempts to generate XML, it should always generate well-formed XML.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Huynh Bao-E11524 [mailto:bao(_dot_)huynh(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com]
Sent: 02 October 2006 21:42
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Handling invalid characters

Hi all,

Is there a way to handle/discard invalid characters?

Problem:
I have to use data from several different sources that have
different/unknown encoding types.  I store all of them in a
MySQL db using ISO-8859-1 encoding.  A php function grabs the
data and fits it into XML format.  When I use the XML file as
input to an xsl transform, I get "Invalid character
(character code 25) detected".

Possible solutions:
1) I would prefer to somehow convert all invalid characters to valid
ISO-8859-1 (I also have control of the php function)
2) Delete all the invalid characters
3) Display them as gibberish in my documents
4) Basically anything that won't cause an error and will let
the transform continue

Any lead would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Bao