xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Question about Altova XML Spy

2006-10-13 13:54:25
You are in the right place in XML Spy  - the help file has the following
with regards to options available to you re generating output.

-----------------
The DTD/Schema | Generate Sample XML File... command generates an XML file
based on the currently active schema (DTD or XML Schema) in the main window.

The options listed in the pop-up window are:

Generate non-mandatory attributes - Activating this option generates not only mandatory attributes, but also the non-mandatory attributes, defined in the schema.

Generate non-mandatory elements - Activating this option generates not only mandatory, but also non-mandatory elements, defined in the schema.

Generate first choice of mandatory choice - Activating this option generates/inserts the first choice of a mandatory choice.

Generate X elements if marked repeatable in Schema/DTD - Activating this option generates the number of repeatable elements you enter in the text box.

Fill elements and attributes with data - Activating this option inserts the data type descriptors/values for the respective elements/attributes. For example: Boolean = 1, xsd:string = string, Max/Min inclusive = the value defined in the schema.
----------------------
You should also be aware that for a particular DTD/Schema it may not be
possible to generate all elements within a sinlge instance.  For example if
you had

<!ELEMENT branch  (x | y) >

then branch could contain 'x' or 'y' but never both in a single instance.

From your message, it may be your problem is entirely associated with
imported schemas... which I know very little about in a XML Spy context.

Cheers...Hugh

Cyberspace Industries 2000 Inc.
XML Training and Consulting.

----- Original Message ----- From: "meenakshi n" <mina_hurray(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>