xsl-list

Re: [xsl] [XSLT 2.0] Checking that an element's value has the desired datatype?

2006-10-16 10:46:34
"Costello, Roger L." wrote:

I can do datatype checking, without using XML Schemas.

No, you do string matching on the lexical representation
of the values.  The difference can be important.

What is the difference?

If my stylesheet checks that the value of an element is an
optional "+" or "-" followed by one or more digits, how is
that different from a schema validator checking that the
element has an integer datatype?

  It is not the same thing.  By matching the string value,
you don't know the actual type of the node.  Is it an
xs:integer, an xs:decimal, a my:special-int, a
my:degree-in-celcius, a my:degree-in-kelvin, or a plain
xs:string?  Note that the later is very important, as in
this case "01" is not the same thing that "1".

  Actually, I experienced something related yesterday.  I'm
using Google Spreadsheet to share data with friends.  The
data of one column is something like the ID of a document.
And it looks something like "2/02".  One digit, "/" then two
digits.  But when I first typed "2/02", it displayed
something like "Feb., 2 2006".

  Google Spreadsheet thought "it is the same lexical
representation that the one of a date, so *it is* a date".
But it wasn't, and I didn't want a date.  I did want to keep
my string, exactly as I typed it.

  Regards,

--drkm