xsl-list

Re: [xsl] ∈ is not ∈...?

2006-10-20 02:11:11

it gives 8714! and not 8712 like it should be upon w3c mathml
characters page. i checked our dtd and we're including isotech.ent
(ISO General Technical Entities V0.3) and that is saying

aha not only did I once know this, I even documented it!

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/iso9573-2003doc/9573sec5.html#sec5.2

says
Entity: [isin][ISOTECH]
   MathML [U+2208][ELEMENT OF]
   Stix   [U+220A][]
MathML defines isin incorrectly for HTML compat
This skews variant and negated forms.

isin
  dkb=[U+220A][SMALL ELEMENT OF]
  mml=[U+2208][ELEMENT OF]

I believe that docbook 5 uses the entity sets from
http://www.w3.org/2003
so the incompatibility should go eventually.

We're way off topic now though for xsl-list, any questions about the
entity sets are welcome on www-math(_at_)w3(_dot_)org(_dot_)

One  way to avoid such confusion in future, is to use the same dtd in
your stylesheet as your input data then your test could have been
written

and you would never have had to know what number was assigned to that
character.

David