xsl-list

Re: [xsl] getting type information in xslt 2.0

2006-11-07 10:47:43
David Carlisle wrote:

  Hi

  First of all, I was suddenly not able to follow XSL List since 2
weeks ago.  So I'm reopening a few days-old thread, and I guess I broke
some discussions I was involved on.  Sorry for that.

If you can hold the data in memory as XPath sequences,
you should be able to retain type information?

  But it is not always possible to use XPath sequences.  In particular
with other sequences, as they cannot be embedded.

  Maybe a system using markers as you showed -- something like (<q/>,
1, 2, <q'/>, 3, <q'/>, 4, <q/>) -- could be usefull in some
circumstencies.  But this cannot be used by a library as a black-box
object passed to the user.  Because the user cannot add it to a
sequence for example.

  I think I have an entry on my blog that show a practical example of
the non-usability of sequences:
http://fgeorges.blogspot.com/2006/08/type-preserving-copy-in-xslt-20.html
(see the "Problematic" section).

  Regards,