xsl-list

[xsl] Character references and the dreaded d-o-e

2006-11-14 15:09:57
I have what I think is a very simple XSLT 1 question, but I can't recall the
best way to solve it.

We have the following value in the database: AT&T

Which gets serialized as

<result_set>
  <vendor_name>AT&amp;T</vendor_name>
</result_set>

My stylesheet is set to output text, and doing

<xsl:value-of select="/result_set/vendor_name"/>

Returns AT&amp;T

Even though I'm producing plain text, the only workaround I'm aware of is to
change the output to XML and use d-o-e on the value-of element to get the
desired result (AT&T).  But I can't help but think there are unwanted side
effects to this, and that there might be a better way (perhaps using string
replacement?).  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
b.

Brian Martinez