xsl-list

RE: [xsl] naive identity transform question

2006-11-20 16:14:33
If it was working, I don't expect you would have posted this.

So it's presumably not working. What are the symptoms? It's much easier to
find a bug if you what the output is.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Crump [mailto:jjcrump(_at_)u(_dot_)washington(_dot_)edu]
Sent: 20 November 2006 22:20
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] naive identity transform question

I'm sure this is a very straightforward task, but I'm missing
something fundamental about the identity transformation.

I want to copy an xml file exactly except if nodeX lacks a
childY write element Y.

The consensus on the identity transform suggested something like this:

xsl file identity.xsl

   <xsl:template match="node()|@*">
       <xsl:copy>
       </xsl:copy>
   </xsl:template>

xsl file intended transformation.xsl

   <xsl:import href="identity.xsl"/>

   <xsl:template match="//snotes:SourceNote[not(snotes:sourceDate)]">
       <xsl:element
name="sourceDate"><xsl:text>0000-00-00</xsl:text></xsl:element>
   </xsl:template>

IE: copy all elements complete, except where
//snotes:SourceNote has no snotes:sourceDate child. In that
case, write a snotes:sourceDate element with the value 0000-00-00.

Anyone willing to point out the obvious to the naive?

--~--