xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Displaying Element Values - basic ?

2007-01-03 09:26:07
patterj(_at_)twcny(_dot_)rr(_dot_)com wrote:
Forgive me if this posted already.

I'm having trouble pulling the value of an element, I want to read the
value of element <Assignment>. I can't figure out how to do it, even
though it's extremely basic. I'm using the W3C xslt tutorial and they
really don't have anything on how to do this, using my format. I would
like to keep my xml structure, because this is easy to read format and
it's generated dynamically by a PHP application. Can anyone give me a tip?

xml:
        <Assignments>
                <Assignment duedate = "1/21/07" assigned =
"1/02/07">Read Ch.3</Assignment>
                <Assignment duedate = "1/30/07" assigned =
"1/02/07">Test Ch. 3</Assignment>
        </Assignments>

My current XSLT:
        <xsl:for-each select="Assignments/Assignment">
                        <!-- Not going to pull the value -->
</xsl:for-each>
--~--

You have some problems here. Firstly your attributes in the XML are
lower case, the attributes are referred to in camel case in the XSLT and
have different names; duedate versus DateDue and assigned versus
DateAssigned. Then there is the <xsl:value-of select="Assignment"> line.
Here's what it should probably look like (I have taken the XML attribute
names as being correct).