xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Wrap changing element sequence into container: with 'for-each-group'?

2007-02-01 05:29:51

Looking at the code, I assume what makes the difference is that without
xsl:for-each-group, all "b" and "c" elements within their parent element
would go into the same container1 instance instead of each "b"/"c"
sequence receiving their own container. Am I right?

the usage of for-each-group that you suggested, with a constant grouping
key, is exactl_ the same as the version I posted that did not use
for-each-group at all. In both cases they will only make a single
container1 element and place into that all of the relevant elements even
if they occur later in the input sequence.

the "two methods" that i posted in the earlier reply were designed to
handle this case, they will separately group each contiguous run of b,c
and d,e,f groups into possibly multiple container element_s_.

If so, it won't hurt me, as my "b" and "c" elements will always appear
before any "d" element, therefore I think can do without
xsl:for-each-group.

so, you don't need for-each groop here.

The lesson I learned: The hardest part with XSLT (2.0) is to find its
easy solution to your complex problem. ;-)

sounds about right!

David