xsl-list

[xsl] Preserving numeric character entity reference

2007-02-14 03:56:00
All,

I'm trying to create a purely text-based CAPTCHA, using the Perl module
Authen::PluggableCaptcha. It has worked well for its author.

It uses various techniques to obfuscate the code the client sees, in the
hope of putting spammers off sufficiently to make them go elsewhere. It
is kind of nasty, but CAPTCHAs are generally a bad thing, this one is
one of the less bad.

It provides an XHTML fragment that I currently include in an XML
document, which is transformed to XHTML. I do
 <xsl:copy-of select="/html/body/pagedata/cap:captcha/cap:challenge"/>
which preserves most of the obfuscation. However, the XML parser
(correctly)  translates the numeric character entity references that
are one of the obfuscation techniques.

I can't use the us-ascii output encoding, as is usually suggested in
cases like these, because, the numeric character entity references are
actually in the us-ascii range anyway (and we want UTF-8 for the rest).

Is this doable?

Are there any other obfuscation techniques that can be done easily in
XSLT that you can suggest?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--