xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH

2007-02-17 10:45:41
I have XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 by Michael Kay and also

Beginning XSLT 2.0 from Novice to Professional by Jenni Tennison.

Since I was a newbie to XSLT I started with the Beginning XSLT 2.0 book,
I have come to understand many new features of XSLT 2.0 with this book I've
read up until Paths and Sequences
but haven't tried the exercises in the book yet.

I feel that when learning any programming language there are multiple stages of
learning

1) Learn all the concepts first and get a high level understand of the overall
language. Especially if one is comeing from a procedural language or OO
background
    it helps to look at things from a new perspective or at least anticipate
that there's a new perspective to any language.
2) Re-read and practice the exercises - the second pass gets the foundation
strong.
3) Then look at design patterns that provide common solutions to known/
frequent problems.

After gaining some basic understanding of XSLT I looked through the XSLT 2.0
and XPath 2.0 books by Michael Kay, and I feel that the two books are written
very well and cover
each topic comprehensively with tabular references, graphs, code snippets. I
plan to read them soon once I finish the Beginning XSLT book, or I may refer
them on an as needed basis to look-up detailed information regarding a topic.

The index of the book shows the page numbers for each topic clearly and I find
that it is easy to navigate the book, upon understanding the basic concepts of
XSLT and XPath.

-Regards
Rashmi