xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XHTML html validation

2007-02-19 09:20:40
--On Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:05:38 +0000 John Steel wrote:

No, resin does the tranformation - I suspect I screwed up in trying to
create a smaller example then, for which I sincerely apologise. The test
is to view the source in the browser - if the browser transforms, you'd
see the xml structure, if it was the server you'd just see formed html
right?

The complexity of your overall system is causing some confusion. It seems that your server side engine reacts to a processing instruction somewhat like the one that is more often seen used for client/browser side processing.

The examples, when processed by a standalone XSLT 1.0 processor, show that you have namespace issues to deal with.

You have put your <faqlist> element into the XHTML namespace so the templates are not matching. You can either put it back into no namespace with <faqlist xmlns=""> or convert your templates to use the namespace.

The literal result elements such as <tr>...</tr> in the stylesheet are in no namespace, you must put them into the XHTML namespace if you want them to be recognised as XHTML.

You have specified xsl:output method="html" which is wrong for XHTML output, it must be method="xml" for an XSLT 1.0 processor but I doubt if that will give you Appendix C "HTML Compatibility" output.

--
Owen Rees
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK