xsl-list

RE: [xsl] dynamically set priority in xsl:template

2007-03-02 03:38:06
XSLT variables and parameters don't have a value until run-time, so you
can't refer to them in use-when. What you can do instead is to refer to Java
system properties

use-when="system-property('slenderise.level') = '1'"

which you can set from the command line using -Dslenderise.level=1 or from a
calling Java application using System.setProperty().

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Georges Schmitz [mailto:georges(_dot_)schmitz(_at_)heitec(_dot_)de]
Sent: 02 March 2007 10:30
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] dynamically set priority in xsl:template

Andrew Welch wrote:
On 3/2/07, Georges Schmitz <georges(_dot_)schmitz(_at_)heitec(_dot_)de>
wrote:
I want to dynamically set the priority of a template (with
$expand.level), with the objective to control the "amount
of output"
from outside the stylesheet via parameter setting.

  <xsl:param name="slenderise.level" select="-1" />

  <xsl:template match="@db:type |
                       @db:size |
                       @db:nullable"
                       mode="slenderise"
                       priority="$slenderise.level" />

<xsl:variable name="suppress" select="tokenize($names, ' ')"
as="xs:string*"/>
Thank you for this hint, but it isn't practicable for me (I
gave just a simplified example); the stylesheet is rather
complex: 11 apply-templates in mode "slenderise" ...

I would prefer the "pass-fail" solution proposed by Michael
Kay, but when I tried the following, I get again an error:
  <xsl:template match="@db:type |
                       @db:size |
                       @db:nullable"
                       mode="slenderise"
                       priority="2" />
                       use-when="$slenderise.level = 1"

==>
   XPST0008: Error in use-when expression. XPath syntax error
at char 18 on line 211 in
  {$slenderise.level = 1}:
    Variable $slenderise.level has not been declared

The parameter is definitively set, so what is wrong?
"$slenderise.level = 1" can be evaluated to a boolean, or am
I missing another thing?

--~--