xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Friday challenge: XSLT thats creates XPaths for meaningfully equivalent comparisons of XML files

2007-04-13 07:34:07

 There are even such people, according to whom the following are different:

    <someElement/>

and

    <someElement></someElement>

Yes, I've ran into my share but it seems to me, from the XML spec,
that they are wrong.

2. What is even more important, even if all issues described in 1.
above have been solved/agreed-upon, the fact that the result of an
XSLT 2.0 transformation is the same as the result of an XSLT 1.0
transformation of a given document *does not guarantee* that the two
transformations will have the same result when applied on another xml
document.

To put it in other words, the proposed tool will be effective in
showing that two transformations do not produce the same results, but
it cannot be used in ascertaining that two transformations will always
produce the same result.

I guess what one needs is the following:

1. a suite of test instances

2. a bayesian reasoner that tells us what the chance is of a transform
1 and transform 2 outputting the same output from the same input.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen