xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT Dead?

2007-04-16 15:42:46
>So, is XSLT dead?

What do you mean by "dead"?  That no developer will use it or that no
supplier will make XSLT available?  Or something else?

Dead, as in there are better technologies to explore, like off the
shelf solutions, a custom calendar control for example.

I, the XSL enthusiast I am, would think WAY different than a .NET
solution available for purchase.  If tasked with "give the user a
calendar so he/she can pick a date from", well knowing what I know
about XML/XSL, I'd opt to write my own and pre-gen the data for the
calendar as XML, probably using C# to dynamically write the XML out
for the transformation.  But you see, my solution would almost always
include XML and an XSL transformation which is opposite of the
developer looking for a solution already written for .NET.

I'm going to assume you are looking for genuine opinions here and not
just trawling for controversy, but to make that assumption, I think
you are going to have to go into a lot more detail.

I would like ALL opinions.  I myself, have made the concious choice to
avoid the MS .NET gui path.  I have made the choice to use XML and XSL
where ever I can.

Are these colleagues of yours protecting a fiefdom of programming
expertise, unwilling to let other solutions they don't understand
qualify for use in deployment?

They are looking for the precanned solution.  Its purchase vs. build,
and they are opting to purchase.

How does a "drag and drop GUI designer" relate to a result-tree
construction process based on multiple XML inputs in a declarative
construction-rule stylesheet?

They don't.  It is a shift in thinking.  Much like the calendar
example above, I make the concious choice to think results (solutions)
in XML and XSL.

Karl..

On 4/16/07, G. Ken Holman <gkholman(_at_)cranesoftwrights(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 2007-04-16 10:57 -0700, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
>My colleagues and I often have discussions about which technologies to
>use to solve different business needs.  Since I am a huge XSLT fan,
>they know I have a bias for this technology, and they are always, no
>let me express this properly, they are ALWAYS giving me a hard time
>for it.
>Well, in a recent conversation about technologies, one of them goes
>for the kill and throws out this doozy:
>
>    I can just sum it up for you:
>    <xsl:apply-templates select="DeadTechnology" />
>
>So, is XSLT dead?

What do you mean by "dead"?  That no developer will use it or that no
supplier will make XSLT available?  Or something else?

>I guess to put things into context a bit; does the
>rule which MS has over so many developers, the drag and drop GUI
>designer and ready made solutions in a box, does this suggest that
>XSLT is a dying technology?

I'm going to assume you are looking for genuine opinions here and not
just trawling for controversy, but to make that assumption, I think
you are going to have to go into a lot more detail.

Are these colleagues of yours protecting a fiefdom of programming
expertise, unwilling to let other solutions they don't understand
qualify for use in deployment?

Are these colleagues of yours measuring performance metrics without
measuring maintenance metrics?

How does a "drag and drop GUI designer" relate to a result-tree
construction process based on multiple XML inputs in a declarative
construction-rule stylesheet?

Without more defensible comments on which to address your question,
your post could be interpreted merely as a jab in a quiescent
hornet's nest to see how many angry responses can be solicited.  I
think your wording of such a post belies your contention of being a
"huge XSLT fan" ... you aren't equipping yourself for success.

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc

--~--