xsl-list

Re: [xsl] How Can I Reference previous XML in Subsequent Iterations?

2007-04-18 08:30:56
Chris M. wrote:

I resubscribed with my regular email addy, now I see that you mask them in the archives.

Welcome!

As you pointed out, I am very used to learning new languages, but they are all OO/Procedural. I have also had little trouble learning BNF, CSS and [X]HTML, which are static layout languages.

From what I can see of XSLT, it is a **very** limited procedural language, mixed with a layout language, that sits on top of a pretty intense parsing engine. Sort of a "control panel" for the engine.

It is not procedural at all. And it is very far from limited (as a matter of fact, it is Turing Complete), unless you want to use it for things it wasn't designed for. If you want to describe the graphical layout of a brochure, you won't (I hope) use XHTML, Neither will you (I hope) use XSLT for creating the next generation Mars Orbiters.

About limitations: XSLT 1.0 has quite some drawbacks, amongst which its verbosity in dealing with string handling and the like, grouping, complex control over output characters, and dealing with multiple output documents. If you feel that XSLT 1.0 is limited, consider moving to XSLT 2.0, which is much more than just an upgrade and makes your stylesheets easier to create, read and maintain and does away with much of the verbosity that XSLT 1.0 suffered from.

There are a few questions by me and by Nic about your original post (see previous messages). Perhaps you can answer them so we can help you further?

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma