xsl-list

[xsl] nested grouping problem using group-adjacent

2007-04-18 08:44:49
All,

Having tried to code for this for the past several ... well, I won't admit how long ... I throw it to you for help and beg for mercy. If the solution exists in an archive or faq somewhere, and I've just missed it in my searches, please refer me to it.

Input xml:

<objects>
        <object depth="1">data</object>
        <object depth="1">data</object>
        <object depth="2">data</object>
        <object depth="2">data</object>
        <object depth="3">data</object>
        <object depth="3">data</object>
        <object depth="3">data</object>
        <object depth="2">data</object>
        <object depth="2">data</object>
        <object depth="1">data</object>
        <object depth="2">data</object>
        <object depth="1">data</object>
</objects>

Required output:

<objects>
        <group-1>
                <object depth="1">data</object>
                <object depth="1">data</object>
                <group-2>
                        <object depth="2">data</object>
                        <object depth="2">data</object>
                        <group-3>
                                <object depth="3">data</object>
                                <object depth="3">data</object>
                                <object depth="3">data</object>
                        </group-3>
                        <object depth="2">data</object>
                        <object depth="2">data</object>
                </group-2>
                <object depth="1">data</object>
                <group-2>
                        <object depth="2">data</object>
                </group-2>
                <object depth="1">data</object>
        </group-1>
</objects>

My futile attempt:

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
                <xsl:copy>
                </xsl:copy>
        </xsl:template>
        <xsl:template match="objects">
                <xsl:for-each-group select="*" group-adjacent="(@depth >= 1)">
                        <xsl:element name="group-1">
<xsl:for-each-group select="current-group()" group- adjacent="(@depth >= 2)">
                                        <xsl:element name="group-2">
<xsl:for-each-group select="current-group()" group- adjacent="(@depth >= 3)">
                                                        <xsl:element
name="group-3">
                                                                <xsl:apply-templates
select="current-group()"/>
                                                        </xsl:element>
                                                </xsl:for-each-group>
                                        </xsl:element>
                                </xsl:for-each-group>
                        </xsl:element>
                </xsl:for-each-group>
        </xsl:template>

My attempt is producing the wrong output, in that (for example) the depth-1 elements are inappropriately being nested in group-2 and group-3 elements. I've done quite a bit of grouping work with xslt 2.0 for other applications, but for some reason this one escapes me.

The input example is a scaled-down structure that would represent flat lists in document-oriented xml that need to be up-translated for structure and depth nesting.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide ...

Jeff Hatch
Electronic Media Group
Curriculum Department
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints