xsl-list

Re: Fwd: Re: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?

2007-04-26 02:51:52
I really appreciate your comments, however I'm not really looking
for a which language is better discussion at this time.  I'm trying
to see what options are available (to us at the moment) in regards
to reducing the cost of importing the stylesheet. If there are

If we were in the Java world people would be telling you to use the JAXP
API and cache the Templates object, giving you a cached object from
which you can derive Transformer objects to run individual stylesheet
executions.

If no such facility exists directly with the PHP libxslt libraries,
you might look to see if there exists a facility to cache function calls
or objects.  Poking around online I see the following article:

  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2001/10/11/pearcache.html

which looks promising for such functionality, it looks like you may be
able to do things like cache the XSLTProcessor object and then reload
it each time you want to use it in a script execution.

The Web Service idea floated earlier is also a great idea, it's one
we've used to great success to allow Perl scripts to talk to a very
efficent Java based XSLT engine.  A single modern AMD or Intel based
Linux or Solaris x86 server running Tomcat (or Apache+Tomcat) to serve
up an XSLT engine in Java is a fairly easy way to give programs who can
'talk HTTP' access to a pretty powerful XSLT engine.

Jim