xsl-list

[xsl] Xoath quote escaping

2007-04-28 07:22:26
All,

I have a situation where I am building an XPath expression in JavaScript to select nodes from an XML document. The content of the nodes could contain double quotes, single quotes or both at the same time. It is user-entered data, so I have no control ultimately over what the content contains.

The content might be (brackets excluded): [This is some "quoted" content of Ted's]

The dynamically built xpath expression might look like (where subNodeValue is the above content):

1) "//node["  + subNodeName + " = '" + subNodeValue + "']"

... except for the single quote problem... or:

2) "//node["  + subNodeName + " = \"" + subNodeValue + "\"]"

... except for the double quote problem... or even:

3) "//node["  + subNodeName + " = "" + subNodeValue + ""]"

...except that this just doesn't work.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?  Is it possible?

I've read everything I can find on quote escaping (on this list and elsewhere) and there doesn't appear to be a solution that covers this case (I know XPath 2 is supposed to allow "" escaping - unfortunately, we're stuck on IE6+ & MSXML3).

We are dynamically displaying rows in a table that meet the xpath criteria... setting a @showing attribute and then re-transforming... so it really has to be in JavaScript.

One option would be to replace (s/"/'/g or s/"/''/g) all double quotes on the server side when building the XML - and then use option 2 above. I don't really want to change user-entered data. It is, sadly, what I've come down to. I'm hoping there's a more elegant solution to this.

Thanks for any help...

Duane