xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Transforming large XML docs in small amounts of memory

2007-05-02 01:30:47
Michael Kay wrote:
It's purely XSLT 1.0, using Saxon (on Linux and Windows, if
that matters...), although suggestions to change this would
not be shunned.

Just as an experiment, try it on Saxon 8.x rather than Saxon 6.5. It doesn't
always make any difference, but on some occasions I've seen it make a
dramatic improvement.
In this case, no difference. Worth a shot though...

I think that transforming 150Mb of data in 400Mb
of RAM would be a sensible target (is this sensible?)

That's ambitious. To achieve that, you're going to have to do something that
condenses the input document before transformation.

What would you say was a reasonable target? I expect it will be
dependent on many factors.

I'm not sure how to tell what proportion of the memory is
used for the input DOM, output DOM, etc...

If you really mean "DOM", then start by not using a DOM, and using a Saxon
TinyTree instead. (Saxon doesn't use any memory for the final result tree -
it's normally piped straight into the serializer).

What I meant was 'in-memory representation of the source document'. I
incorrectly assumed that this was some kind of DOM. A little reading on
TinyTree shows that it is the default for Saxon, and thus is what is in use.

--
Ronan Klyne
Business Collaborator Developer